This is a quick piece about the competition for the Pittsburgh Steelers third preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. I will focus on the Bills and their ties to the Steelers. For an in depth Steelers centric perspective, please reference the many articles Dave has posted leading up to the game.
Who: Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo Bills
What: Week 3 Preseason Game
Where: Ralph Wilson Stadium
When: 7:00 EST Sunday August 25th, 2012
How: Local Broadcasting
Buffalo Bills Notes:
- The Bills have had difficulties with personnel during camp. They released Shawne Merriman this week, placed Torell Troup on the IR and waived a few players as well. While they had a breakout (beginning of the) 2011 season, they appear to be having a rough preseason.
- One player who has stood out for them is Vince Young and he has all but solidified his position as the backup quarterback. This is more a function of Tyler Thigpen\’s struggles so far as Young has yet to register a TD.
- Stevie Johnson has said that he is experiencing some soreness on his surgically repaired groin. This is big news for this receiving corps because David Nelson has also been struggling with injury woes. This compounds when you consider that this is a relatively thin group of receivers playing for a team that likes to use multi receiver formations often.
- There has been rumblings that several Bills are having great camps, but with all camp news, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Tight end Scott Chandler and wide receiver Donald Jones have been surging and Buffalo\’s secondary including safety Jairus Byrd have been noted in a positive light.
- While the secondary has been praised, it has also changed a lot since last season. Last season Drayton Florence and Terrence McGee started at corner with Aaron Williams and Leodis McKelvin next in line. This season, with Florence now in Denver and McGee still struggling with injuries, rookie Stephon Gilmore is set to start opposite Williams with McKelvin manning the slot.
Pittsburgh Steelers Notes:
- There aren\’t many former Steelers or ties that I know of on the Bills. The only key one is Kraig Urbik who was drafted by the Steelers in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft. Though initially considered a top prospect at guard he was beaten by undrafted free agent Ramon Foster. Urbik was subsequently released before the 2010 season began. This is when the Bills grabbed him and he would start the final two games of the 2010 season before becoming the team\’s starting right guard.
- Buffalo drafted several players that were believed to be on the Steelers radar this offseason. Before Gilmore\’s draft board climb, he was rumored to get taken around the Steelers spot. Cordy Glenn was considered for the Steelers first round position as well. However, both Dave and I posted about why we believed he would not be suitable for the Steelers. The Bills chose him early in the 2nd round. The last Steelers possible prospect was Zebrie Sanders who was taken in the 5th round. When the Steelers took Mike Adams in the 2nd round, it destroyed the chances that Sanders would wear black and gold.
- At this point, both Gilmore and Glenn are listed as starters for the Bills. This team had holes especially after the offseason and the drafted players are being called upon to contribute early.
- The Bills are a great 3rd preseason test for the Steelers. They have a middle of the road defense and an offense that can uniquely test the Steelers. After the Steelers O-line struggled extensively against the Eagles 4-3 pressure outside, it has a chance at redemption against the Bills and Mario Williams.
Follow me on twitter @chrisdimarino