Bob Labriola reports Sunday via Twitter that Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert has said that the team still hasn\’t ruled out bringing back unrestricted free agent quarterback Charlie Batch despite the signing of unrestricted free agent quarterback Bruce Gradkowski this past week.
Batch has made it known several times during the off-season that he is interested in returning for another season at 38 years of age. Batch said that his exit meeting with the Steelers in January went well and that he didn\’t get any indication that they didn\’t want him back in 2013.
The Steelers obviously want Gradkowski to be the backup to starter Ben Roethlisberger next season and they could do much worse than Batch as a third stringer. Batch could easily be signed to a qualifying contract once again that would come with a reduced salary cap charge.
As we have previously speculated, it is almost a certain that backup Byron Leftwich will not be brought back in 2013. The Steelers have also added former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback John Parker Wilson to the off-season roster as a camp arm.