Play-by-play breakdown for Pittsburgh Steelers’ outside linebacker Jason Worilds against the Chicago Bears.
CLICK ON ANY PICTURE TO ENLARGE
1. 1st and Goal, 3:16 1st. ROLB. Bull rushes LG Matt Slauson with Shamarko Thomas on nickel blitz. Slant from Jay Cutler so the ball is out quick and Worilds not able to get pressure.
2. 1st and Goal, 3:14. Run up the middle. Worilds jumps on the pile at the end.
3. 2nd and Goal, 2:49. Aligned outside the TE. Playaction on the goalline. Re-routing the FB releasing into the flats while rushing but falls to the ground at the same time.
4. 3rd and Goal, 2:43. Another dive on the goalline. Worilds on contain, not involved in the play. Bears didn’t even try and block him.
5. 4th and Goal, 2:06. Again Worilds unblocked. And again, not much to note vs dives up the middle.
1. 1st and 10, 13:30 2nd. Still at ROLB. Run is away from him. Originally base blocked by Martellus Bennett before Dante Rosario comes over and chips near the end of the play.
2. 2nd and 8, 12:50. Worilds drops into hook zone. Cutler dumps it off on the opposite side.
3. 1st and 10, 12:09. Wide rush vs Jerrod Bushrod. Not able to get skinny and gets pushed up the arc.
4. 2nd and 12, 11:29. Rushes briefly. Bubble screen to opposite side.
5. 3rd and 6, 10:45. Lines up at LOLB on this play next to LaMarr Woodley. Drops into hook zone. Picture to show where he was pre-snap.
1. 1st and 10, 14:17 3rd. LOLB replacing Woodley. Gets a good push vs the TE base blocking him.
2. 2nd and 8, 13:31. Drops into the flats vs Brandon Marshall. Bears motioned him to the slot on this one.
3. 1st and 10, 13:07. Good effort play, able to work under rookie right tackle Jordan Mills. Pressures Cutler from behind, forcing him to check it down to Bennett. Brings the QB to the turf the moment after the ball is out.
1. 1st and 10, 5:34 3rd. Lined up as the 30 tech, ILB (picture below). Rushes closed side “C” gap free after Lawrence Timmons lures the RT away. Cutler forced to get rid of it quickly and the pass incomplete. Scheme more than talent created pressure on this play.
2. 2nd and 10, 5:30. ROLB. Uses his hands well with an inside rush vs Bushrod. Knocks the tackles hands away and gets a little pressure before the ball comes out.
3. 3rd and 2, 4:51. Again rushes. Does a nice job getting low, dipping under. Nearly gets to Cutler.
4. 1st and 10, 4:48. Another quick screen. Not much happening.
5. 2nd and 10, 4:02. Bull rush. Left tackle doubles over and falls off. LaMarr Woodley gets to Cutler before Worilds can but a good play nonetheless.
6. 3rd and 16, 3:34. Probably best play of the day. Starts to rush then sees Michael Bush release. Follows him and closes quickly, causing an incompletion on the checkdown and letting the defense get off the field. Heady, high-effort play.
1. 1st and 10, 2:20 4th. ROLB. Steve Maneri gets a good push against him. Wins at the POA.
2. 2nd and 10, 2:00. Another run. Nothing doing with the Bears just killing clock with the game decided at this point.
3. 3rd and 5, 1:55. Another run. Worilds planted to the ground by Maneri.
Snaps: 22 (17 ROLB, 4 LOLB, 1 “ILB”,)
Fairly limited playing time from Worilds but did an adequate job with the time he got. Especially strong fourth drive where he strung together multiple “plus” plays. The one advantage he has over Jarvis Jones is an understanding of bend around the edge. Jarvis Jones is stiff and can’t get under offensive tackles. While this will eventually change, Worilds is currently the better pass rusher even if he doesn’t hold a candle to the rookie in the run game.
It’s nice to have a guy like Worilds at your disposal. He’s getting experience at both OLB spots so should there be an injury, Worilds can fill right in. And he’s giving Woodley the occasional breather along with splitting some time with Jones, hopefully keeping the rookie fresh for later in the season.