Bryan – 2014 First Round Mock Draft
I know you have room for one more 2014 mock draft and especially being as it is coming from me. Look, I detest doing these, but it says in my blahger handbook that I am required to.
In case you are curious, all of these teams tried to trade up and down, but the phone lines went out.
You will read it and you will like it. I feel it in my plums.
1. Houston Texans – Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina – I have a feeling that if the Texans stay put they will wait for a quarterback. When Clowney’s motor is on, he is a beast. They have some good leaders in Houston on defense that will make it stays on.
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) – Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn – Personally, I think Robinson is a bit overrated, but the Rams could really use a right tackle.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars – Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo – Mack won’t solve all of the Jaguars problems, but he will help on defense. Like the Texans, I think they will wait on a quarterback to fall.
4. Cleveland Browns – Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida – Brian Hoyer is not the answer and I do not believe that Johnny Manziel is either. Perhaps it’s the Ben Roethlisberger comparisons, but I think Bortles could be the best quarterback in this class when we look back in five years.
5. Oakland Raiders – Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson – Matt Schaub needs some weapons. The Raiders spent money on defense during the offseason
6. Atlanta Falcons – Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M – The Falcons offensive line could really use a tackle with Matthews bloodline.
7. TampaBay Buccaneers – Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M – Can you name the wide receiver that is currently slated to play opposite Vincent Jackson? Thought so.
8. Minnesota Vikings – Justin Gilbert, CB, OklahomaState – This spot could wind up being no man’s land for the Vikings and as a result, they might want to bail out. Being as they have to play the Bears twice every season, they probably could use a big cornerback to help defend those big Chicago wide receivers.
9. Buffalo Bills – Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan – Is Bills right tackle Chris Hairston even healthy? Lewan would be a fit if he’s not.
10. Detroit Lions – Darqueze Dennard, CB, MichiganState – Have you seen the Lions cornerback situation? Chris Houston still isn’t healthy and Rashean Mathis will turn 53 in August, if I’m not mistaken. The Lions should know all about Dennard.
11. Tennessee Titans – Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA – Ray Horton plus Lou Spanos equals Barr.
12. New York Giants – Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina – Yeah, this makes too much sense.
13. St. Louis Rams – Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama – Rams could really use another safety.
14. Chicago Bears – Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh – You don’t question gifts, you just run to the podium and accept them.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers – Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech – Could they move down a few spots and still get a player they like? Sure, but why risk it. I really like Fuller and this team REALLY needs a cornerback.
16. Dallas Cowboys – Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M – Come on, you know Jerry Jones has thought about this. Admit it.
17. Baltimore Ravens – C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama – I could see Mosley, Ryan Shazier or Calvin Pryor going to Baltimore.
18. New York Jets – Odell Beckham, WR, LSU – Maybe Jets fans wouldn’t boo this pick.
19. Miami Dolphins – Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame – Maybe this Martin will work out better. He likely will play guard, but can play tackle should need arise.
20. Arizona Cardinals – Derek Carr, QB, FresnoState – Shazier would be enticing, but this team needs a quarterback if Carson Palmer was to go down.
21. Green Bay Packers – Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville – The Packers really need safety help. If you don’t believe me, just ask their fans.
22. Philadelphia Eagles – Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State – Imagine what Chip Kelly could do with Cooks in his offense.
23. Kansas City Chiefs – Marqise Lee, WR, USC – Outside of Dwayne Bowe, who does Alex Smith have to throw to?
24. Cincinnati Bengals – Ryan Shazier, LB, OhioState – The days of Rey Maualuga are numbered. Shazier would get to stay in Ohio and he fits that defense.
25. San Diego Chargers – Bradley Roby, CB, OhioState – This is a need if I ever saw one.
26. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts) – Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama – Ideally the Browns could use a guard, but if they draft Kouandjio, Mitchell Schwartz could possibly kick inside.
27. New Orleans Saints – Jason Verrett, CB, TCU – How much longer does Champ Bailey have? Regardless, Verrett can help in the slot until Bailey goes down.
28. Carolina Panthers – Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FloridaState – Jerricho Cotchery and Jason Avant are not enough. Benjamin would at least give Cam Newton a big red zone target in 2014.
29. New England Patriots – Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech – Aaron Hernandez is in jail and Rob Gronkowski is beat up. Remember how good the Patriots offense is with two tight end threats?
30. San Francisco 49ers – Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame – A good fit considering that Justin Smith is almost 35 and Ray McDonald is almost 30.
31. Denver Broncos – Xavier Su’a-Filo, G, UCLA – Ideally, think they might move up for an inside linebacker, if they stay put, they might want to think about backing up the interior of their offensive line.
32. Seattle Seahawks – Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State – The Seahawks like to rotate hose defensive linemen and Jernigan should fit what they do scheme wise.