6 Questions Needing Answers During Steelers 2010 Training Camp
Friday is almost upon us and the Steelers will start arriving in Latrobe for the 2010 training camp. Besides all the questions surrounding quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, I have compiled 6 questions that need answers before camp breaks.
1. Is Troy Polamalu healthy? - It is no secret safety Troy Polamalu is the catalyst on defense. Reportedly he is healthy and ready to go after missing 11 games due to a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee. The biggest test will be when the tackling starts and most would expect he will be eased into action.
2. Can the offensive line gel quickly? - Free agent Flozell Adams was signed Thursday night to start at tackle. Which tackle spot is yet to be decided, but the line will likely feature two new players and could even see one switch from the left to right side. Offensive line coach Sean Kugler will have his work cut out for him to get this group gelled and working on all cylenders by week one.
3. Special attention to special teams? - Al Everest replaces Bob Ligashesky as the Steelers special teams coach and he has to fix the kick coverage units from a year ago. Look for quite a few new faces on kick and punt coverages this year. One big return is one too many. It simply can not happen again this year.
4. Can Mike Wallace fill the big shoes? - In only his 2nd season, Mike Wallace will be asked to fill the hole left by Santonio Holmes when he was traded to the New York Jets.Holmes averaged nearly 60 catches a season for 4 years and over 950 yards. Wallace has shown he has the goods in the number 3 receiver role and now looks to do it with even more attention on him from defenses.
5. Can James Farrior find the fountain of youth? - Getting Larry Foote back from his one year stay with the Lions might end up being the biggest free agent move this offseason. James Farrior admits to having an off year in 2009 and has worked hard this offseason to redeem himself. The presence of Foote will help push Farrior and he will be able to spell Potsie more on passing downs. Will Farrior have juice in his old legs at Latrobe?
6. Will Bruce Arians really use a fullback? - Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians looks to revive the power running game in 2010. He has never been known to use a true fullback, just multiple tight ends. Word is that Rashard Mendenhall might be running behind some one this year. Is it a fullback, tight end, h-back or a 3rd tackle? We don't really know yet for sure, but training camp should give us a glimpse.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!