Roethlisberger Getting It Done On 3rd Downs Thus Far In 2010By Dave Bryan on November 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm@SteelersDepot
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has only been back for 4 games, but he has made an impact in so many ways, especially on 3rd downs. Through the first 4 games of the season, Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch combined for 16 completions on 30 attempts on the 3rd downs for 174 yards. That included one touchdown and one interception and a YPA (yards per attempt) of 5.80. The QB rating for that stat line is 67.9. They also combined for just 8 1st downs converted out of those 30 attempts.
Roethlisberger on the other hand has been blistering it on 3rd downs in his 4 games back as he is 21 of 33 for 319 yards. He has 4 touchdowns with only 1 interception and a gaudy 9.67 YPA. His QB rating on that line is 123.2, a league best right now. Of course he only has about half the attempts that most of the starters around the league have through week 9 as the table below shows. Not showing in those number is the fact that Roethlisberger has converted 16 of those 33 3rd down throws into 1st downs. That is almost 50%.
If that is not enough, the first 4 games without Roethlisberger saw the Steelers convert only 10 of the 49 total opportunities they had for a 20% conversion rate. In the last 4 games since Big Ben has returned, the Steelers are 22 of 53 on all 3rd downs for a 42% conversion rate.
In the last table I have also included the career 3rd down passing numbers of Roethlisberger since coming into the league and if you are curious is carrer QB rating on 3rd downs including this season is 87.2. Not too shabby.
2010 NFL Quarterback 3rd Down Passing Stats Through Week 9
Ben Roethlisberger Career 3rd Down Passing Stats
- Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell Named NFL.com 2014 Fantasy Player Of The Year January 31, 2015
- Report: Steelers Likely To Play In Pro Football Hall Of Fame Game January 31, 2015
- The Bus Will Get A Bust: Former Steelers RB Jerome Bettis Finally Elected Into Pro Football Hall Of Fame January 31, 2015
- Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell Named 2014 FedEx Ground Player Of The Year January 31, 2015
- Can Pittsburgh Afford Gambling On Gifted CB Marcus Peters At 22? January 31, 2015
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell – Super Bowl XLIX News Conference Transcript January 31, 2015
- Steelers 2015 Draft: Top 30 Big Board 2.0 January 31, 2015
- 2015 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Louisville G John Miller January 31, 2015
- Steelers 2014 Player Exit Meetings – NT Steve McLendon January 31, 2015
- The Pessimist’s Take – Assessing Cortez Allen’s Stock January 31, 2015