Three weeks of OTA practices are now behind is and the mandatory mini camp gets underway on Tuesday, so now I will move forward with my second 53 man roster prediction for the 2013 Pittsburgh Steelers.
Prior to training camp getting started, I will release my next prediction and then will have a new prediction after each and every preseason game leading up to my final 53 man roster prediction.
If you missed my first 53 man roster prediction following the draft, you can view it here.
Feel free to list your prediction below in the comments or try to talk me out of any of these roster spots.
Quarterbacks: (3) Ben Roethlisberger, Bruce Gradkowski, Landry Jones
- Despite Jones reportedly not looking great early on, he will still beat out John Parker Wilson for the third quarterback spot.
Running Backs: (4) Le\'Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Baron Batch
- I still think that the real battle here is between Jonathan Dwyer and Redman for the fourth running back spot as I do not believe the team will carry two running backs that will earn $1.323 million in 2013. Dwyer really needs to get that weight in check by the time training camp rolls around.
Fullbacks: (1) Will Johnson
- While I still expect David Johnson will put up a good battle, Will is the much better receiver of the two and showed last season he can handle the fullback position.
Wide Receivers: (5) Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, Markus Wheaton, David Gilreath
- I still have Plaxico Burress as the odd man out and until a fifth wide receiver comes forward, I have Gilreath holding that spot for now.
Tight Ends: (3) Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, David Paulson
- I stated previously that I though Miller would be ready by the start of the season and I still believe that will happen. Spaeth and Paulson are simple decisions to make.
Offensive Line: (9) Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, Ramon Foster, Mike Adams, Marcus Gilbert, Kelvin Beachum, John Malecki, Joe Long, Nik Embernate
- Max Starks and Doug Legursky have both signed elsewhere so I have Long and Malecki taking their spots. Being as Beachum is the backup center, guard and right tackle, this forces me to push Mike Golic Jr. off the roster and onto the practice squad. I sure hope that Long can beat out Guy Whimper.
Nose Tackles: (2) Steve McLendon, Alameda Ta\'amu
- With Woods getting reps as the second team nose tackle and Casey Hampton still nowhere in sight, I am starting to get the feeling the Steelers might only carry six defensive linemen and am wondering if they might even try to carry five. For now I will leave Ta\'amu on the 53, but I don\'t think he\'ll be ready by the start of the season to backup McLendon.
Defensive Ends: (4) Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood, Cameron Heyward, Al Woods
- You have to think that Nick Williams is still slated for the practice squad right now and I don\'t expect any of the other undrafted defensive ends make the 53.
Linebackers: (9) Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, LaMarr Woodley, Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones, Chris Carter, Adrian Robinson, Marshall McFadden, Vince Williams
- I still have to wonder if Stevenson Sylvester can make the 53 man roster. It could come down to either him or McFadden if the Steelers decide to only carry nine linebackers instead of ten.
Cornerbacks: (6) Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian, Terry Hawthorne
- Hawthorne\'s knee surgery might hurt his chances of making the 53, but for now I will leave him and also add Victorian. Hawthorne is p[rime to be inactive early in the season.
Safeties: (4) Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Robert Golden, Shamarko Thomas
- At this point there is no reason to think the Steelers will carry five safeties being as they think Gay can play the spot in a pinch.
Special Teams: (3)
Kicker: (1) Shaun Suisham
- Suisham has obviously earned another year.
Punter: (1) Drew Butler
- Just a guess that Butler is able to hold off Brian Moorman, but it should be a great battle in camp nonetheless.
Long Snapper: (1) Luke Ingram
- I will stay with my hunch that Ingram can beat out Greg Warren. This is obviously just a wild guess.
Practice Squad: (8) Mike Golic Jr., Hebron Fangupo, Nick Williams, Justin Brown, Jamie McCoy, Curtis McNeal, Derek Moye, Joe Madsen
|67||Golic Jr., Mike||T/G|