Breakdown Of Steelers NT Al Woods Versus Lions
By Alex Kozora
Short breakdown of Pittsburgh Steelers nose tackle Al Woods’ snaps vs the Detroit Lions.
CLICK ON ANY PICTURE TO ENLARGE
1. 1st and 10, 1:59 1st. LE in dime. Lined up as the three tech. Double-teamed by the LG/LT. Blown back a little bit but maintains pad level and able to absorb the block well enough.
2. 1st and 10, 1:19. As pointed out by one of the commenters, run block with the RT working to the 2nd level and not interested in blocking Woods. Able to show good hustle and close on the ballcarrier trying to cutback.
3. 2nd and 9, :37. Pass rush vs the LG. Ball out quick on curl to Calvin Johnson.
1. 3rd and 11, 5:27 2nd. Three tech, left end, one of two down lineman. Cross stunt with Cam Heyward.
Free rusher but the ball again comes out quick. Matt Stafford has a quick release.
2. 1st and 10, 4:43. Slight outside shade over RG. Again, three tech at LE. Not much doing on this pass rush.
3. 1st and 10, 3:58. Head up with the RG. Doubled by the guard/center. Good leg drive though can’t generate pressure.
1. 1st and 10, 4:00 3rd. Inside shade of RG. Gets sealed by the RT. Good block by the OL but disappointing considering all the ground the tackle had to make to get in position for the block. Shouldn’t have been able to reach Woods.
2. 2nd and 7, 3:22. Bullrush. Gets some penetration until the center doubles and knocks him off balance.
3. 1st and 10, 2:47. Good jump off the ball, getting under the pads of the RG vs the run. Couldn’t get off the block, however.
1. 1st and 10, 2:03 4th. False start called on Detroit.
2. 1st and 15, 2:03. RE this time. Still one of two lineman. Loops to inside on stunt. No pressure.
Obviously hard to determine much considering the sample size. Little disappointed he couldn’t see more reps with Brett Keisel sidelined. But he made the most of the ones he got with fresh legs. Showed a good jump off the ball and shows an understanding of leverage. Better athlete than you’d expect too.